Red Vegetable Pickle
A great ‘make at home’ condiment to serve on the side. Delicious with meat or chicken. Especially good on a ham sandwich.
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ small cabbage, green or red, finely sliced
- 3T (45ml) water
- 3 T (45 ml) canola oil
- 2 beetroot, unpeeled, just wash well and cut off top and root end and grate
- 1 apple unpeeled and cut into 1 cm x 1 cm cubes
- 4 T (60 ml) soft brown sugar
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1¼ cups (310 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 - 2 t (5 - 10 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
Steam the cabbage in the 3 T of water for 3 minutes, then add the oil. Sauté the cabbage in the oil, until limp, ± 3 minutes. Add the grated beetroot, cubed apple, brown sugar, Vegetable Stock Powder, water, cider vinegar and Seasoned Sea Salt to taste.
Turn the heat down and simmer very slowly, with the lid on, for 15 minutes until the apples are soft. Sterilize 2 clean glass bottles with boiling water. Spoon the pickle into the glass jars and close the lids tightly.
Turn the jars upside down to sterilize the lids. Store in a dark cupboard until needed.