Rice Pudding with Meringue Topping
A delicious layered rice pudding. The rice forms the bottom layer, the middle layer of vanilla flavoured egg custard is topped with a divine golden brown soft meringue. Serve it with a simple apricot jam drizzle.
YOU WILL NEED
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) short grain rice
- 2 T (30 ml) white sugar
- ½ t (2.5 ml) salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways or 1 t (5 ml) vanilla essence
- 3 egg yolks from separated extra-large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Meringue Mix
- ¼ cup (60 ml) smooth apricot jam
- ± 2 T (30 ml) water
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 170°C.
Butter a 21 cm round ovenproof dish.
Rinse the rice in a strainer.
Sprinkle the rice, sugar and salt in the ovenproof dish and mix lightly.
In a large measuring jug beat together the milk, cream, seeds scraped out of the vanilla bean and egg yolks.
Pour evenly over the rice.
Bake open for 1 hour. Remove from oven (leave the oven on) and allow to cool a little while making the meringue.
Mix the meringue using the egg whites. Follow the pack instructions exactly.
Blob meringue over the rice pudding.
Bake this soft meringue for 15 – 20 minutes at 170°C.
Dish up and drizzle a little warmed apricot jam, mixed with water, to thin it down.