Making risotto must be one of the most relaxing things to do. Call on your guests to help, they will love it.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4½ cups (1,125 litres) boiling water
- 3 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- a large pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 3 T (45 ml) butter and 1 T (15 ml) for later
- 1 T (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 - 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup (225 g) risotto rice
- Ina Paarman's Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
Using a large measuring jug, dissolve the Liquid Beef Stock in the boiling water and add the saffron. Leave on one side.
Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the oil and shallots and cook gently for 3 – 4 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes until all the grains are coated with the butter. Add a ladleful of the hot stock and stir over medium heat until it has all been absorbed (see Ina’s Tip), before adding another ladle of stock.
Continue like this for approximately 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until you have added all the stock and the rice is tender and creamy, but still al dente.
Stir in the remaining butter and season to taste with Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning.
When does one add the next ladleful of stock? As soon as the stirring spoon leaves a clean path in the rice.