Roast Lemon Chicken for a Crowd
A trouble free and economical way to feed a crowd.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 large fresh chickens
- Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Herb Coat & Cook Sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 250 g sliced mushrooms
- 1 x 100 g Ina Paarman’s Poultry Stuffing Mix
- 2 T (30 ml) butter or olive oil
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- ¾ cup (180 ml) boiling water
- 1 T (15 ml) chopped thyme leaves
- 700 g baby potatoes, unpeeled
- 500 g baby onions, peeled
- Ina Paarman’s Potato Spice
- olive oil
Season the chickens inside and outside with Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning. Leave to stand at room temperature while preparing the stuffing. Season the onion with Green Onion Seasoning and sauté in a mixture of butter and olive oil until golden. Add the mushrooms and sauté with the onion for a few minutes.
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Empty the Stuffing Mix into a medium mixing bowl. Add butter, Chicken Stock and boiling water. Stir and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Add the hydrated stuffing to the mushroom and onion stir-fry. Add thyme. Mix everything together lightly until evenly blended. Spoon the stuffing into the cavities of the chickens and truss the chickens with string.
Place chickens in a roasting pan to which you have added 1 cup of boiling water. Cover with wet, well oiled baking paper. Roast for 45 minutes.
Toss the potatoes and onions in a mixing bowl with Potato Spice and olive oil, pack around the chickens. Pour the Lemon & Herb Coat & Cook Sauce over the chickens together with the cream. Roast open for 1 hour. Allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before carving.
Serve with baby roast potatoes, baby onions and pan juices. Garnish with thyme.