Salmon in Pastry
This Russian inspired classic is a real party piece. The layers of well flavoured mushrooms and the pastry cover prevents the fish from overcooking and keeps it beautifully moist.
YOU WILL NEED
- 250 g all butter puff pastry, store bought or homemade
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 1 punnet (250 g) Portobellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning, to taste
- 400 - 450 g fresh salmon, skinned (Norwegian or local salmon trout)
- Ina Paarman’s Fish Spice
Sour Cream Sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
- 1 T (15 ml) fresh dill, chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) lemon juice
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- ½ t (2.5 ml) sugar
If the pastry is frozen, remove it from the freezer to half thaw.
To prepare the mushroom layer, sauté the onions, seasoned with the Green Onion Seasoning, in the butter until soft and just beginning to brown. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until just beginning to draw water.
Add the undiluted Beef Stock and season to taste with Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
Spread out on a dinner plate and leave to cool in the fridge or freezer.
Lightly roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a rectangle 26 cm x 33 cm. Place pastry on baking paper.
Spoon half of the chilled mushrooms in line down the centre of the pastry.
Season the fish with Fish Spice and lay on top of the mushrooms.
Spoon the remaining mushrooms over the fish.
Slash the sides of the pastry into diagonal strips.
Fold end pieces of pastry over filling. Beat the egg together with the salt and sugar.
Plait side strips over filling, “glue” strips together with egg wash. Glaze whole pie with egg wash. Lift the side of the baking paper and place parcel on a baking tray.
Can be baked straight away or chilled for a few hours or overnight in the fridge before baking.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 200°C.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Sour Cream Sauce
Mix together the sour cream, chopped fresh dill, lemon juice, Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning and sugar.
Serve hot with cold sour cream sauce on the side.
Seamed French-cut green beans make an excellent accompaniment.