Samp with Fresh Corn
Many people scorn samp as ‘poor man’s food’, but if prepared properly, it is an excellent starch accompaniment.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 cup (250 ml) samp
- 4 cups (1 litre) boiling water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder
- 2 mealies, sliced off the kernel
- 2 - 3 T (30 - 45 ml) butter
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
Boil the samp in the water and Vegetable Stock for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Leave to stand. 30 minutes before needed, bring to the boil again. Add the corn kernels and simmer gently.
Add the butter and mash in. Season to taste with Vegetable Spice. Add a final grating of nutmeg.
Tip from Leonie Grobler
Microwave for 20 minutes in a 700 w. oven instead of cooking on top of the stove.