Savoury Bread Puddings with Vegetables
A friend made this for an elderly couple next door and they assured her it was the best thing they have ever eaten!
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 large croissants or 2 rolls
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream milk
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 1 T (15 ml) oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 250 g sliced button mushrooms
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Vegetable Stock
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated cheese
Butter 4 – 6 small ovenproof dishes.
Slice the croissants and line the dishes.
In a large measuring jug, beat together the eggs, the Cheese Sauce, milk and Seasoned Sea Salt.
Pour half of the egg mixture over the croissants, reserve the rest for later.
Leave to stand to allow the croissants to soak up the liquid.
Sauté the onion, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in the butter/oil mixture.
Add the cauliflower florets and stir-fry until just tender.
Add the mushrooms, stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes, add the undiluted Vegetable Stock, Garlic Pepper Seasoning and chopped parsley.
Divide the vegetable mixture between the 4 or 6 dishes and top with the remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle cheese over and allow to stand while heating the oven.
Adjust oven rack to middle position.
Preheat oven to 170°C.
Arrange dishes on a baking sheet.
Place in the oven. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until nicely browned and puffy.
Instead of individual dishes, bake the mixture in a regular pie dish.