Colourful and delicious. Serve it with grilled chicken or fish. A good dish to make on ‘clean the fridge day’.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- olive oil
- 2 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 8 x Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Quarters, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, pipped and finely diced
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 cup (200 g) long grain rice
- 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder or 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Chicken Stock
- fresh herbs to garnish
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flaked almonds, lightly toasted
Slowly sauté the onion pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in 2 T (30 ml) of olive oil until soft and just beginning to colour.
Add the chopped fresh tomatoes, the tomato quarters and the red pepper. Season with sugar and Garlic & Herb Seasoning. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the Basmati rice, stir it through to absorb the flavours. Add the boiling water and Chicken Stock. Stir through.
Turn the heat right down, put a lid on the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Switch off the heat and leave to stand for 5-10 minutes. Add a final drizzle of olive oil.
Garnish with any fresh herbs available e.g. finely sliced spring onions, snipped chives or chopped parsley. Sprinkle toasted almonds over just before serving.
The rice can happily be prepared in advance and reheated in the microwave.