A friend used to say: ‘Everything deep fried tastes wonderful’. These vetkoeks are no exception. Made with our Beef Bolognaise Pasta Sauce they are a winner! While making them I had to bat away the tasting vultures!
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) cake flour
- 2 t (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 x 400 ml Ina Paarman’s Beef Bolognaise Pasta Sauce
- ¼ to ⅓ cup (60 - 80 ml) water
- canola oil for deep frying
Mix the flour, baking powder and Seasoning together in a mixing bowl using your fingers.
Add the egg and Pasta Sauce and rinse out the pasta bottle with the water. Mix until everything is blended together to form a sticky dough of a dropping consistency.
Add oil to the pan to a depth of 2 ½ – 3 cm.
Heat the oil over moderate heat. Drop tablespoonfull of batter into the hot oil and fry both sides of vetkoekies until golden brown.
For the campers
Measure the flour, baking powder and Seasoning into a small plastic bag to make a pre-mix, ready to add the egg, Pasta Sauce and water when ready to fry.