Slow Cooked Lamb Curry with Aubergine
We have used a slow cooker for this recipe, but if you don’t have one do it in the oven at 120°C. To save time we have not browned the meat – the Beef Stock provides flavour and colour. To get maximum flavour we have used a variety of cooking methods e.g. pan browning (onions) and oven roasting (aubergines).
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock
- 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
- 1 kg lamb shanks, cut into 5cm lengths
- Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 2 large or 3 medium aubergines, sliced into rounds and quartered
- Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 4 T (60 ml) canola or olive oil
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry Coat & Cook Sauce
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 red chilli, sliced
Brown the onions, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the oil, add the garlic when just about done. Sprinkle over the White Sauce Powder. Add the Liquid Beef Stock to the boiling water.
Place lamb shanks into slow cooker, season lightly with Masala Spice. Switch slow cooker onto ‘high’ and add hot stock and browned onions. Stir, cover with lid and when starting to bubble turn down to a low temperature. Cook for 4 hours until meat is completely tender.
In the meantime season the aubergines lightly with Seasoned Sea Salt and drain in a colander for 30 minutes. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat the oven to 200°C.
Spread aubergines out on a large baking tray. Drizzle with ± 4 T of oil. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Keep on one side.
When the meat is tender, add the roasted aubergines and Tikka Curry Sauce. Taste for seasoning and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
Turn to high and cook for a final 15 minutes to heat through. Garnish with sliced chilli.
Serve with rice and sambals.