Slow Cooked Oxtail with Orange and Lemon Gremolata
One cannot let the winter pass without preparing oxtail a couple of times! This delicious stew can be cooked in a very slow oven, or in a slow cooker. Best made the day before.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Meat Spice
- 1.25 kg oxtail, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) red wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 T (15 ml) orange marmalade (optional)
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning to taste
- grated rind of half an orange
- grated rind of one lemon
- ¼ cup (60ml) finely chopped parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below the middle position. Preheat the oven to 100°C.
Measure the flour and two Seasonings into a plastic bag, add meat and shake to coat.
Heat a heavy frying pan and add oil and butter. When the butter becomes brown and bubbly, add half the meat and brown it on all sides. Remove browned meat from the pan, and add to the raw meat. It is not necessary to brown all the meat. Pre-season the onions with Green Onion Seasoning and add to the pan and brown. Add the carrot and celery and stir fry together with the onions for 2 minutes. Add the red wine – boil fast for one minute to reduce it a little. Add the water, Liquid Stock, chopped tomatoes, Tomato Pesto, marmalade, the oxtail (browned and raw meat) and any leftover seasoned flour.
Transfer the stew to a heavy cast iron pot with a lid for oven cooking, or to a slow cooker. Cook for 5 – 6 hours until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone. At this stage it is best to leave the meat to cool down completely (overnight is best). Skim off as much fat as possible the next day.
Reheat the meat. Taste for seasoning. Mix all the gremolata ingredients together and sprinkle over the oxtail just before serving. Delicious with Creamy Polenta with Cheese and Red Cabbage with Apple.