Slow Roast Curried Chicken
A tasty traditional family style recipe that looks after itself in a slow oven. Serve with a green salad or sambals and some coriander rice. This recipe is ideal for a free range chicken which is always tougher than a battery chicken.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 onion, cut into half rings
- ½ smallish butternut, unpeeled and cut into 2 cm blocks
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and sliced into 1 cm strips
- Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice
- 1 fresh chicken
- Ina Paarman's Chicken Spice
- 1 lemon
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) hot water
Adjust the oven rack to one shelf below the middle and preheat to 150°C.
Toss the vegetables together in a roasting dish or large casserole dish with a lid. Season with Vegetable Spice.
Season the bird all over with Chicken Spice. Cut the lemon in half and insert into the cavity of the chicken.
Place the chicken on the bed of vegetables breast down (this is important to protect the breast meat from direct heat). Pour the Butter Chicken Sauce over the bird.
Dissolve the Chicken Stock in hot water and pour into the dish on the side, so as not to wash the sauce off the bird.
Cover with a lid. Bake for 2 – 2 ½ hours until very tender.
Any leftover chicken is excellent on a sandwich the next day.