A fantastic method to cook chicken and at the same time impart a deep smoked flavour.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Braai & Grill Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) flour
- 1 fresh chicken, well rinsed under cold water, wing tips and oil glands removed
- 1 small lemon, cut in half
- A small handful of fresh herbs - origanum is very good or use thyme or parsley
- Wood shavings available at hardware stores.
Mix the dry seasonings. Season the chicken cavity with half of the blend., Place the lemon halves and herbs in the cavity and truss the chicken (see video). Rub the remaining seasoning into the skin. Sprinkle 1T (15 ml) wood shavings on the base of a heavy cast iron pot. Place the chicken in a foil container on a metal stand in the pot. Cover the pot with foil, shiny side towards the chicken. Close the lid tightly over the foil (this is important to keep the chicken moist).
Set the stove plate on high (solid plate or glass hobs should be preheated for 3 minutes). Place the pot on the hot plate for 10 minutes. Switch the hob to low and smoke slowly for 45 minutes. Switch off the hob, but don’t open the pot for another 15 minutes.
Serve chicken warm with vegetables or at room temperature with salads. Serve the chicken with the delicious smokey gravy that has formed.