Sour Cream Cherry Loaf
I remember the taste from my childhood. This rich and moist cherry loaf is very simple to make, but so delicious to eat and pretty to look at. It will also freeze very successfully.
YOU WILL NEED
- 250 g butter at room temperature
- 3 extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1 x 600 g Ina Paarman's Vanilla Cake Mix (reserve 2 T)
- 100 g red glacé cherries, cut whole ones in half
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream or créme fraîche
- 1 T (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 T (15 ml) grated lemon zest
Adjust the oven shelf to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter a 27cm x 10cm x 9cm loaf pan. Line the base with baking paper.
Ignore package instructions and follow the method below.
Reserve 2T of the dry Cake Mix and toss with the halved cherries.
Cream butter until soft and white. Add 1 egg and 1T Cake Mix at a time, beating after each addition, until you have used all 3 eggs.
Add sour cream and lemon juice. Beat it in. Add all remaining dry Cake Mix. Add halved and floured cherries and lemon zest and gently fold in by hand with a spatula until evenly mixed. Don’t over mix.
Spoon mixture into the loaf pan. Make a slight hollow along the length, in the middle of the pan to prevent it from forming a peak when cooked.
Bake for 1 hour until nicely browned. Turn out onto a cooling rack and remove baking paper from the base.
Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.