Spatchcock Chicken with Olives and Figs
The addition of olives and figs can change a regular chicken dish into a special treat. The video also illustrates the easy way to carve and serve a spatchcock chicken.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 large free range chicken
- ½ x 125 g Ina Paarman's Olive Pesto
- Ina Paarman's Rosemary & Olive Seasoning
- olive oil
- 6 dried figs, cut into quarters
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- 200 g green olives, pipped
- 2 x 6 cm sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Herb Coat & Cook Sauce
- 700 g baby potatoes, halved
- 2 t (10ml) Ina Paarman's Potato Spice
- 1½ t (7.5ml) Ina Paarman's Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
Place the chicken, breast down, on a cutting board. Use a very sharp knife or strong pair of kitchen scissors to cut along both sides of the backbone. Remove the backbone, reserve. Spread the carcass flat, breast side up.
Loosen the skin over the breast and thighs. Squeeze Olive Pesto generously under the skin and massage it level. Season the chicken all over with Rosemary & Olive Seasoning and rub with olive oil.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and adjust rack to one slot below middle.
Toss the figs, onion, garlic, olives, chicken backbone and rosemary together in a black oven roasting pan. Pile up to form a ‘platform’ in the middle of the pan. Place chicken, skin side up, on top. Mix the Chicken Stock with the water and pour it in, on the side. Pour Lemon & Herb Sauce over the chicken. In a mixing bowl toss the halved potatoes with Potato Spice and 3 T olive oil. Scatter potatoes all around the chicken. Roast open for ± 1¼ hours.
Cut the chicken into portions (see video). Spoon out the vegetables and figs and serve on the side. Make gravy from the pan drippings, thickened with our Roast Onion Soup and Gravy Powder.