Spiced Chocolate Cake
This chocolate cake, enhanced with spices and extra chocolate, is an ideal Easter treat.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) canola oil
- 2 t (10 ml) coffee granules
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
- 1 x 650 g Ina Paarman’s Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 T (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ t (2,5 ml) ground cardamom
- ¼ t (1 ml) black pepper (don't leave this out)
- 90 g dark chocolate, one half roughly chopped and the rest grated
- 1 x 250 g Ina Paarman’s Chocolate Icing Kit
- 125 g butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- reserved chocolate, grated
- cocoa powder for dusting
- 1 large packet (250 g) malted chocolate balls
- ± 12 bantam size candy coated chocolate eggs
Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter two 22 cm cake pans and line the bases with baking paper. Mix according to package instructions. Add spices to the dry mix. Fold in half of the chocolate (chopped). Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Leave the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave until cold.
Mix Icing according to package instructions.
Sandwich the cakes together with ⅓ of the icing.
Spread ⅓ of the icing around the sides of the cake.
Spread the grated chocolate out on some greaseproof paper and roll the sides of the cake in the grated chocolate (see pic). Smooth the remaining icing over the top of the cake and tightly pack the chocolate balls in a double row around the outside of the cake.
Dust middle with cocoa powder.
Add colourful candy coated eggs.