Spiced Lamb Pita Breads
The flavour of lamb is hard to beat! This is an unusual way of cooking the minced lamb inside a pita bread so that none of the delicious juices are lost. Excellent served with our Peach Apricot Chutney or Cucumber Raita.
YOU WILL NEED
- 500g boneless shoulder of lamb or boneless lamb stewing pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into rough chunks
- ½ cup (125ml) chopped parsley
- 3 T (45ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- 1½ t (7,5ml) ground cumin
- 2 t (10ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 1 x 25g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock
- olive oil
- 6 pita breads about side plate size
In a food processor, fitted with the steel blade, chop up the lamb, together with all the other ingredients except olive oil and pita breads. Process until fine. Spread out on a plate. Comb out any meat fibres or gristle with two forks. Split the pita breads into two. Divide the meat into 6 portions. Spread the bottom halves of the pita breads with the meat, go right to the edges.
Preheat a hinged griddle pan until hot. Brush tops and raw meat sides of the pita breads with olive oil, place on the griddle pan meat side down, and cook until nicely browned, but not dry. Turn pita bread over, cover with remaining half of bread. Brush top of pita bread lightly with olive oil. Close griller and cook until both sides are nicely browned. Cool a little. Cut into quarters for serving.
Buy already minced lamb or use beef mince in place of lamb. Very easy to make, using a flat surface sandwich maker.