Spiced Red Cabbage
Cook this nice and slow for best results.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- ½ t (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ t (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- 1 medium red cabbage, cored and finely sliced
- 2 small beetroot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T (30 ml) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- freshly ground black pepper
Sauté the onion, pre-seasoned with Seasoned Sea Salt, in the butter until beginning to soften. Add spices and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add cabbage, beetroot, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water and bring to the boil.
Simmer covered with a tight fitting lid until everything is cooked down and the liquid is almost evaporated. It will take ± 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add a grinding of black pepper.
- Slice cabbage very finely
- Serve a mixture of green vegetables like snowpeas, tenderstem broccoli and baby gems. Steam the vegetables and season with Vegetable Spice and olive oil.