Spinach and Pea Risotto
A brilliant risotto, creamy, delicious, nutritious and so relaxing to make. Apart from kneading bread, stirring risotto is one of the best relaxation therapies!
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 cups (1 litre) boiling water
- 3 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 3 T (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cm (1 heaped tablespoon) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup (250 ml) arborio rice
- 1 bag (200 g) baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen petit pois
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- freshly ground black pepper
Pour the boiling water into a medium sized saucepan and add the Liquid Chicken Stock.
Keep warm on a very low heat.
In a large frying pan or saucepan add olive oil and immediately add the chopped onion seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning.
Cover with a lid and sauté for ± 5 minutes while stirring now and again until onions begin to brown.
Add garlic, ginger and rice. Stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
Keep stir-frying while adding the warm stock, a soup ladle full at a time.
As soon as the first ladle of stock is absorbed, add another ladle full. Keep stirring gently over medium heat.
When there is about 1 ladle of the stock left, add the chopped baby spinach, peas and Vegetable Spice to the stock. Stir briefly, cover with a lid and bring to the boil for about 2 minutes.
Remove the risotto from the heat.
Ladle the remaining stock/spinach mixture into the risotto, which by now should be creamy and cooked.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese and butter.
Taste for seasoning.
Dish up into warmed bowls.
Garnish with extra grated cheese and freshly ground black pepper.