Garnish this robust meaty salad with garden flower petals (see list of edible flowers). Non meat eaters can replace the steak with large mushrooms.
YOU WILL NEED
- 550 – 600 g Sirloin or fillet steak, well-aged
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- olive oil
- 2 heads of sweetcorn
- 2 T (30 ml) butter, melted
- Ina Paarman’s Braai & Grill Seasoning
- pack of mixed lettuce
- garden flowers e.g. red nasturtiums, marigold leaves, etc.
- 1 small cucumber, finely sliced into rings
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- ± ¼ cup (60 ml) Ina Paarman’s Red Wine or Balsamic Vinaigrette
Season the steak on both sides with Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
Pat Seasoning in well then drizzle steaks with olive oil.
Leave to rest at room temperature for at least half an hour before cooking.
Butter and season corn with Braai & Grill Seasoning. Preheat a griddle pan until smokey hot.
Add the whole steak and the buttered corn, grill until well browned on both sides (medium rare). Remove steak and corn from pan and keep covered on the side.
Cut kernels from the cob.
Line a platter with lettuce.
Slice the cooked steak into thin strips against the grain.
Arrange meat and sliced cucumbers, seasoned with Vegetable Spice, on the lettuce leaves.
Scatter corn and flower petals over.
Drizzle salad with Vinaigrette just before serving at room temperature.
Edible Flowers: rose petals, violas, pansies, chamomile flowers, baby breath (Gypsophila), nasturtiums, marigolds, borage blossoms, sage flowers.
Be sure to avoid using flowers that have been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals.