Stir-fried Sweet and Sour Vegetables
Don’t leave out the tinned pineapple, it really adds to the flavour of the dish. The syrup is used in the Sauce.
YOU WILL NEED
- 440 g tin pineapple pieces in syrup
- 2 T (30 ml) cornflour
- 2 T (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto or paste
- 3 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T (15 ml) rice wine or cider vinegar
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) brown sugar
- 3 T (45 ml) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 carrots, cut into rings
- 1 celery stalk, sliced diagonally
- 2 leeks, cut into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ English cucumber, unpeeled and sliced into half rounds
- Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice to taste.
Drain pineapple and reserve ½ cup (125 ml) of the syrup. Mix syrup, cornflour, soy sauce, Tomato Pesto, grated ginger, vinegar, water, Stock Powder and sugar.
Heat oil in wok and add vegetables in order given, except cucumber and pineapple. Stir-fry until beginning to soften. Add cucumber and pineapple and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Stir pineapple juice mixture and add to vegetables. Bring to the boil.
Season with Vegetable Spice and serve with Crispy Chicken, and Chilli Rice.