Stir-Fry Chicken with Vegetables
Stir-frying is supposed to be a healthy method of cooking, but if one uses excessive amounts of oil to cook the vegetables, it is hardly healthy. For that reason we are combining steam cooking of the vegetables with a final stir-fry. The bonus is, not only a healthier dish, but greatly enhanced flavour and colour.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 skinned chicken breasts, sliced 1 cm thick against the grain
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Spice
- 1 T (15 ml) cornflour (maizena)
- canola oil
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Honey & Soy Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into small wedges
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into fine julienne strips
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, pipped and cut into strips
- 200 g punnet of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 4 courgettes, sliced on the diagonal
- Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
Toss the sliced chicken in a plastic bag with the Chicken Spice and cornflour. Add 3 T of the Honey & Soy Sauce and 3 T canola oil. Leave to marinate at room temperature while preparing the vegetables.
Bring 1½ cups of water to the boil in a wok or large frying pan. Briefly steam-cook each vegetable separately for 2 minutes, until bright in colour and a little softer. Remove each vegetable when done with a slotted spoon and keep on one side. Combine the vegetables and season lightly with Vegetable Spice.
Discard the water. Add 2 T of oil to the wok or pan. Swivel the pan. Lay the chicken strips against the sides of the wok and wait for the one side to be done, before turning the strips with a pair of tongs and briefly cooking the other side.
Remove the chicken to a plate and season with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning.
Add a little more oil to the wok or pan and stir-fry the combined vegetables in two batches.
Return all the vegetables, the chicken and any juices, to the pan. Add the remaining Honey & Soy Sauce and re-heat for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle spring onions over and serve with rice or noodles.