Streusel Topped Muffins with Pecan Nuts
Mix the 5 T of Muffin Mix and cinnamon together. Rub the butter into the mixture to form coarse crumbs. Add the sugar and nuts and toss to mix. Use half of this streusel mixture to add to the muffin mixture and sprinkle the rest over the tops of the unbaked muffins before they go into the oven.
YOU WILL NEED
- 5 T (75 ml) dry Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix
- 1 T (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- 3 T (45 ml) butter
- 6 T (90 ml) brown sugar
- ½ cup (50 g) pecan nuts, chopped
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain yoghurt
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream milk
- 1 x 700 g Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix (minus 5 T)
- ½ cup (125 ml) streusel mixture (recipe above)
How to mix muffins:
Remove the raisin-bag from the foil packet and pour boiling water over the raisins to plump them up. Drain immediately and set aside to swell.
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease 2 muffin pans. Beat eggs and oil for 1 minute on high speed until well blended. Add yoghurt and milk and beat for 1 minute on high speed.
Add contents of pack and drained plumped raisins and stir by hand with a wooden spoon ± 40 times until uniformly blended. (Do not beat.) Fold in half of streusel mixture. Spoon mixture into buttered muffin pan/s. An ice cream scoop does the job perfectly. Sprinkle ± 1 T of remaining streusel mixture over the top of each unbaked muffin. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
Serve plain or with butter and honey.