Sweet Potato and Butternut Swirls with Honey and Orange
This delicious traditional South African recipe has many advantages. It can be prepared in advance, even the day before. It is neat and easy to dish up, but best of all, the flavour of honey, butter, cinnamon and citrus works remarkably well with the orange.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups (400 g) butternut, peeled and cubed
- 4 T (60 ml) honey
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- rind from 1 orange
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 1 T (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh orange juice
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- ½ t (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- ±½ cup (125 ml) soft white breadcrumbs
- 4 small oranges, sliced 2 mm thick
Steam the sweet potatoes and butternut together until soft, and then mash them until smooth. Warm the honey in a small saucepan or in the microwave. Add the butter, orange rind and Seasoned Sea Salt. Mix the lemon and orange juices with the White Sauce Powder. Thicken the butter mixture with this. Add cinnamon and mix with the mashed vegetables until blended. Add egg and then the breadcrumbs, a spoonful at a time, until the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape when piped. The amount of breadcrumbs will depend on the moisture content of the individual vegetables and the size of the egg. Taste for seasoning.
Pipe a swirl of the mixture on each orange slice and top with a pecan nut. Arrange on a buttered baking sheet and keep refrigerated until cooking time or freeze.
Adjust the oven rack to middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake for ± 15 minutes until just beginning to brown. Serve hot.