Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry
A generous, filling vegetarian recipe. The curry sauce you use depends on taste. Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce is mild, whereas the Tikka Curry Coat & Cook Sauce is quite hot.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 medium, 550 g (preferably orange variety) sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into rings
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T (15 ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1 small chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- 3 ripe red tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 x 400 g can lentils, drained
- ½ cup (125 ml) coconut milk
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry or Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauces
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
- a few springs of fresh coriander (optional)
Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 200°C.
Toss the sweet potato with the Masala Spice and oil.
Even out on a baking paper lined baking sheet or pan.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until brown and cooked. Keep on one side in a serving dish, cover to keep warm.
To make the sauce with lentils
Melt the butter in a frying pan, season the onion with Green Onion Seasoning and sauté the onion in the butter until golden and soft.
Add the garlic, ginger and chilli (if using) and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Stir through and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
Pour the sauce over the roasted sweet potatoes.
Garnish with blobs of Coriander Pesto and fresh coriander leaves.
Serve with rice, poppadums and sambal salads.