Sweet Potato and Snoek Salad
Sweet potatoes and snoek teamed up with a sweet mustard dressing is a combination made in heaven and quintessentially South African. You’ll also like this never-fail technique for roasting sweet potatoes. This is a filling salad suitable for a main course. Butternut in place of the sweet potato also works very well.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 medium red sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- ½ cup (125 ml) Ina Paarman’s Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing
- Ina Paarman’s Potato Spice, to taste
- 1 butter lettuce or mixed pack lettuce
- 200 g smoked snoek, deboned and flaked
- ½ cup (125 ml) thinly sliced spring onions with green tops
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position.
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Scrub, but no need to peel the sweet potatoes, and cut into 2 cm cubes.
Place in a large bowl and add just enough Dressing to lightly coat the cubes.
Season with Potato Spice and toss. Arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer in an oven pan.
Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Allow to cool.
Line a serving platter with lettuce. Top with layers of smoked snoek and roasted sweet potatoes, then add spring onions.
Coat with extra Dressing.
Serve with country bread.
Use 500 g shaved turkey, ham or chicken in place of snoek.