Thai Calamari Salad with Watercress
This salad is often my standby in the fridge all through the summer season. It keeps well for up to three days if covered. The lemon grass is not a must have, but it does give a nice aromatic top note.
YOU WILL NEED
- 250g calamari rings or baby calamari and tentacles
- boiling water
- 2t (10ml) finely grated lemon or lime rind
- 1T (15ml) lemon or lime juice
- 1t (5ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2T (30ml) fish sauce
- 1T (15ml) finely sliced (white part only) lemon grass (optional)
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1T (15ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- ¼ cup (60ml) Ina Paarman's Lime & Coriander Dressing
- watercress or fresh mint
- 1 medium chilli
Decant the calamari into a small mixing bowl and cover with boiling water. Stir and leave for 3 minutes, strain off the water and immediately pour boiling water over again and leave for another 5 minutes. Strain in a colander.
Mix together lemon rind, lemon juice, Chilli & Garlic Seasoning, fish sauce, lemongrass, spring onions and Coriander Pesto.
Toss into the cooked calamari, cover and refrigerate before serving.
Divide between 4 side plates. Drizzle with Dressing.
Garnish with greens and very finely sliced strips of red chilli.