Thai-Style Carrot Soup
This delicious, quick to make soup is rich in vitamin A, and has a brilliant orange-yellow colour, just the thing for a cold winter’s night.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 2 cups (500 ml) carrots, cut into rings
- 2 t (10 ml) freshly grated ginger root
- 3 T (45 ml) flour
- 2 t (10 ml) curry powder
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice to taste
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- lemon zest
Sauté the onion, pre-seasoned with Masala Spice, in butter and oil until soft. Add the carrots and stir-fry over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add and mix in ginger, stir in the flour and curry powder. Blend well using a wooden spoon. Add the water, Chicken Stock Powder and coconut milk.
Simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Liquidise until smooth. Season to taste with Vegetable Spice. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if required. Garnish with a dollop of Coriander Pesto and lemon zest before serving.
Lemon and orange rind is nature’s own health food. It is very rich in antioxidants, so use whenever you can.