Tomato and Parmesan Risotto
An economical and easy risotto that really delivers a bang for your buck spent. Creamy, tasty and filling.
YOU WILL NEED
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) hot water
- 5 t (25 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) risotto rice
- 200 g baby Roma or cherry tomatoes
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated parmesan cheese
Bring water and Stock Powder to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
Stir in Sun-dried Tomato Pesto, keep warm over low heat.
Heat 3 T (45 ml) olive oil in a medium/large heavy based saucepan, add the onion, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is wilted and golden. Add garlic.
Add all the rice at once and over high heat, stir-fry for about 2 minutes until the rice has absorbed the oil and starts discolouring.
Now start adding the stock mixture, half a cup at a time. Keep stirring gently, over medium heat, until stock is absorbed, before adding the next half a cup.
Continue like this until all the stock has been absorbed. It takes about 15 minutes.
Switch off the stove and cover the saucepan with a lid. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Flash-fry the tomatoes in a tablespoon of olive oil in a small frying pan shaking the pan over high heat, until tomatoes start bursting. Season with Green Onion Seasoning.
Add tomatoes, butter and grated Parmesan to the risotto and fold through.
Serve hot with a green salad on the side.
Blister some extra vine tomatoes in a very hot oven for a few minutes and use to garnish the risotto.