Tomato Braai Bread
In the north of South Africa mealie pap is served with every braai. In the Cape the tradition is braaibroodjies. Use a French loaf for a change to make braai broodjies. Our Sun-dried Tomato Pesto gives amazing depth of flavour. Pre-prepare in advance.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 long French loaf, cut into 3 lengths
- olive oil
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 very ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 – 2 red onions, sliced into rings
Split the French loaf in half lengthways and then into thirds. Drizzle and brush cut sides and crusts with olive oil. Next, spread the cut sides generously with Tomato Pesto. Sprinkle half of the pesto coated sides with grated cheese. Top the cheese with tomato slices, season with Green Onion Seasoning, and add some onion rings.
Finally close the sandwich with remaining bread, pesto side down. Secure with toothpicks and clamp in a braai grid. Toast the braai sandwiches over the fire on both sides until golden brown.