A delicious treat for all and especially vegetarians. A stunning looking tomato tart with cheese.
YOU WILL NEED
- 250 g All Butter Puff Pastry, store-bought or homemade
- ½ pack Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- ¾ cup (180 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 4 very ripe medium/large tomatoes, sliced (see tip)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- olive oil
- 1 egg
- pinch of sugar mixed together with a pinch of salt
- fresh basil
Remove pastry from freezer but only half thaw, it takes about 15 minutes before ready to use.
Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 200°C.
Roll out pastry to 30 cm square. Transfer the rolled out pastry to baking paper.
Use a saucepan lid ± 29 cm round to cut the pastry into a round shape.
Spread Sun-dried Tomato Pesto over pastry, leaving a 2 cm border all around.
Sprinkle cheese over Pesto layer.
Arrange sliced tomatoes and garlic over cheese.
Season with Garlic & Herb Seasoning and sugar. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
Bring edges of dough up and over filling, overlapping as needed to create about a 2 cm border; brush dough with egg wash. Keep galette on baking paper. Freeze for 15 minutes to chill the pastry.
Bake galette, rotating once, until crust is golden brown and cooked through, 35 – 40 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly on baking paper.
Garnish with fresh basil for serving.
If the tomatoes are very watery it is a good idea to season the sliced tomatoes and leave them to drain in a colander.