You will need
3 medium very ripe tomatoes, skinned
Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
2 T (30 ml) finely sliced chives
freshly ground black pepper
- Buy local, store outside the fridge and only use when properly ripe.
- Looks are not everything, but removing the skin makes a huge difference.
- Refrigeration makes tomatoes mealy.
- Store stem-end down.
- Keep the vine attached, then store stem end up.
- Bag with a banana in a brown paper bag, to ripen.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Brush the bread on one side with olive oil, and season lightly on the same side.
Spread a thin layer of Sun-dried Tomato Pesto over oiled side.
Pack the slices of bread out on a metal cooling tray that fits into your oven. Bake for ± 10 minutes until the toast has firmed. Leave until completely cold and then store in an airtight container if making ahead of time. Will keep a day if kept well sealed.
Before serving slice the skinned tomatoes. Layer tomato slices on the toast, season and top with chives. Finish with a grinding of black pepper.