Vegetable Curry with Lentils
Who needs meat if you can feast on this flavourful and nutritious lentil curry?
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder or 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown lentils
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning to taste
- ½ cauliflower, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- ½ small butternut, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 3 large carrots peeled, grate one and slice the rest
- 1 large ripe tomato, skinned and chopped
- 1 - 1½ t (5 - 7,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry Coat & Cook Sauce
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- fresh coriander to garnish
Measure the boiling water in a big measuring jug, add the Vegetable Stock Powder and lentils. Leave on one side to soak for at least 30 minutes. Prepare all the vegetables needed for the curry.
Warm the base of a biggish heavy saucepan. Add the oil and chopped onion pre-seasoned with 1 t (5 ml) Green Onion Seasoning. Stir to brown the onion nicely. Add the cauliflower, green pepper, butternut and sliced carrot. Stir fry the vegetables until they begin to soften and start taking on colour, ± 10 minutes. Add the grated carrot, tomato, soaked lentils (and all the stock), Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and Tikka sauce.
Put a well fitting lid on the saucepan, turn the stove to low and simmer the curry slowly for 30 minutes. Stir now and again to prevent burn-on. If the lentils are not soft enough give it another 10 minutes.
Taste and add Coriander Pesto and a little more Green Onion Seasoning if necessary. Sprinkle fresh coriander over when serving. You can serve with rice if the meal needs to stretch a little further. Salad sambals of tomato and onion, and banana and yoghurt, as well as our Peach Apricot Chutney, complete the meal.
This curry keeps for up to 3 days in the fridge in a glass jar. Delicious served cold as a side salad with grilled chicken, fish or on bread as an open sandwich.