This is a lovely dish that the whole family will enjoy on Saturdays for lunch or instead of the traditional breakfast on Sundays. It is also delicious cold the next day to take to school in your lunch box. Friends will enjoy this bake, cut into small blocks, as part of your next birthday party, it makes a nice change from all the sweet things.
YOU WILL NEED
- large mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- wire whisk or fork
- knife with serrated edge
- chopping board
- 1 large ovenproof dish or 6-8 smaller ones
- 6 slices white bread crusts on, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1½ cups (375 ml) grated gouda cheese
- 500 g smoked Vienna sausages (frankfurters), sliced into 2 cm pieces
- ½ cup (125 ml) parsley, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups (625 ml) full cream milk
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 200 ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
Oil or butter the inside of a medium/large ovenproof dish or 6-8 individual dishes.
Toss cubes of bread, grated cheese, sliced viennas and chopped parsley together in a big mixing bowl. Turn out into the oiled ovenproof dish.
Use the same mixing bowl (no need to wash it). Break the eggs into the bowl, add the milk, Green Onion Seasoning and Cheese Sauce. Whisk together with a wire whisk or a fork until evenly blended.
Pour this egg mixture over the bread and Vienna mixture in the oven proof dish.
Cover the dish and leave to stand for at least 1 hour, so the bread can soak up the liquid. You can also leave it overnight in the fridge.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. When the oven is warm . Put the dish/s in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on size) until golden brown and puffy. Serve with a nice tossed salad. Dress the salad with our Honey Mustard or Herb Dressing.