Wholewheat Muffins with Fresh Pears
Another traditional South African muffin with both fresh and dried fruit. The grated pear adds sweetness and moisture to the muffins. Make your own muffin cups with baking paper squares – follow the step-by-step pictures below.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 extra large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain full cream yoghurt
- ¾ cup (180 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 1 x 700 g Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix
- 2 t (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 pear, coarsely grated with skin on
- 1 pear, sliced into slivers with skin on
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut eighteen 13 cm x 13 cm baking paper squares. Remove raisin bag from foil packet and pour boiling water over raisins to plump them up.
Drain raisins immediately and set side to swell. Add cinnamon to the dry mix in the bag. Mix muffins according to package instructions. Add grated pear to prepared muffin batter. Use an ice cream scoop to shape muffins on flat pre-shaped baking paper. Lower into muffin pans. Top with a sliver of pear. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature with butter and honey.
Replace pears with apples.