WHAT’S IN THE BOX?
- A foil pack with dry cake mixture pre-blended with spices and macadamia nuts.
- A 230 g doy pack of ready to use carrot and pineapple pulp.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
EGGS: 2 extra large eggs
BUTTER: ¼ cup (60 g) butter, melted
OIL: ½ cup (125 ml) canola or sunflower oil
MILK: ½ cup (125 ml) full cream milk, warmed
Kosher households can replace the ½ cup (125 ml) warmed milk with warm almond, soya or coconut milk.
PANS & EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED
- Round cake pan 18 cm x 7.5 cm high or 1 x 12 cup muffin pan for muffins 7 cm x 3 cm deep
- Electric beater
Adjust oven rack to middle position.
SINGLE LAYER CAKE
Bake for 45 – 50 min at 180°C.
Bake for 35 min at 190°C
CARROT CAKE ILLUSTRATED ON FRONT OF BOX
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter and line the base of the pan with baking paper or spray base with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Decant the dry flour mix, from the foil pack, into a bowl. Add 1 T (15 ml) of the measured melted butter and toss it with the flour (this ensures a moist, light textured baked cake).
- Beat eggs and remaining melted butter together for 30 seconds on high speed until well blended. Carry on beating while adding the oil.
- Add warmed milk and beat briefly on high speed.
- Add carrot and pineapple mixture and beat it in.
- Add the flour mix and gently fold it in by hand with a spatula. Mix until combined. It is important not to overmix.
- Scrape mixture into prepared 18 cm pan. Level the top and make a slight hollow in the middle.
- Place in the oven. See baking time in left panel. Cake is done when a thin-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean and the cake pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- Cool cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out on a cooling rack. Do not ice until cake is completely cold.
- Cut the cake horizontally through the middle to form two layers before icing. Watch the video on our website on how to emulate the illustration on the box.
VARIATIONS FOR TWO SMALLER CAKES
Bake in 2 x 15 cm cake pans for 35 minutes. Ice individually. Use half the cream cheese icing for each cake.
Line a muffin pan with paper cups and fill 2/3 full with carrot cake batter, see baking time in left panel.
CREAM CHEESE ICING