INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
WATER*: 1 cup (250 ml) cold tap water
CREAM: 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream, well chilled
BISCUITS: 11 Tennis biscuits (half a 200 g pack)
BUTTER: 3 T (45 g) melted butter
FOR DE LUXE CHEESECAKE
CREAM CHEESE: (Optional extra) 1 x 250 g tub of cream or smooth cottage cheese
*reduce water to ¾ cup (180 ml) if using cream cheese
PANS & EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED
- Loose bottom cake pan 18-20 cm x 7 cm deep or 1 pie dish 22 cm x 5 cm deep
- Electric beater
- Line the base of a 20 cm loose bottom cake pan with a neat 20 cm circle of baking paper.
- Measure 1 cup (250 ml) cold tap water into a medium size mixing bowl. Sprinkle the contents of pack over the water and beat until well blended.
- In a smaller mixing bowl whip the cream until firm.
- Using the same beaters, whip the cheesecake mixture again until smooth. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cheesecake mixture using a spatula or metal spoon.
DE LUXE CHEESECAKE, ILLUSTRATED ON BOX FRONT*
- Measure ¾ cup (180 ml) cold tap water into a medium mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle contents of pack over the water, add cream cheese and beat slowly until well blended.
- In a smaller mixing bowl whip the cream until firm. Add to the cheesecake mix and fold in by hand or beat in on slow speed only, until blended.
Decant the cheesecake mixture into the lined loose bottom cake tin. Melt the butter, add the biscuit crumbs, mix together and sprinkle over the cheesecake mixture in the pan. Even crumbs out and smooth gently over the cake with the back of a spoon. Cover and set in the fridge overnight. See 1 minute video.
*TO TURN OUT
Place a cake stand or large flat serving plate upside down over the loose bottom pan and invert the cake onto the plate. Push the cake out by pressing on the loose base of the pan and remove the base. Peel away the paper, which will now be on top of the cake. Serve plain or decorate with lemon zest, fresh fruit and/or cream.
PIE DISH (not illustrated)
Simply sprinkle the buttered crumbs over the base of the dish and pour the mixture over the crumbs. Level, cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve plain or decorate with fresh fruit and/or cream.
No biscuit base is needed for this recipe. Divide the cheesecake mixture evenly between 8 glasses or dessert bowls. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Top with seasonal fruits mixed with granadilla pulp. Or see Cherry Cheesecake recipe.