ALL YOU WILL NEED IS THREE EXTRA-LARGE EGG WHITES
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Separate the 3 eggs. The whites go into a spotlessly clean, medium size glass (not plastic!) mixing bowl. Reserve the yolks to make an egg custard, mayonnaise or to add to scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes.
- Beat the egg whites with the electric beater on high speed. Beat until the whites stand up in soft peaks. Do not add sugar mixture until this soft peak stage. Now gradually add the sugar mixture little by little while beating on high speed. You will end up with a snow white, thick and shiny meringue.
- Spoon or pipe meringues onto baking paper.
- Bake at 140°C for 20 minutes, reduce temperature to 120°C and dry the meringues out for a further 1 hour depending on size. Switch off the oven and leave the meringues to cool down in the oven.
Take special care when separating the eggs. Even one speck of yolk in the whites will prevent the whites from beating to their full volume.