Makes 1 x 2 layer cake or 16-18 cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Icing not included.
Contents of the box weigh 580g.
Sugar, Wheat flour (Gluten), Corn starch, Raising agent, Dextrose, Cocoa powder, Salt, Fibre, Beetroot powder (Red beet juice concentrate, Maltodextrin, Citric acid), Colourant, Flavourings.
Dry Mix: Wheat, Gluten
Added Ingredients: Cow’s milk, Egg
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
EGGS: 2 extra large or jumbo eggs
OIL: ¾ cup (180 ml) Canola or Sunflower oil
BUTTER: ¼ cup (60 g) butter, melted
MILK: ¾ cup (180 ml) hot full cream milk
PANS & EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 x 20 cm or 2 x 22 cm cake pans or 1 x 12 cup muffin pan for cupcakes 7 cm x 3 cm deep
- Electric beater
Adjust oven rack to middle position
Layer Cakes: Bake for 25 – 30 min at 180°C
Cupcakes: Bake for 12 – 15 min at 190°C
Kosher households can replace the ¾ cup (180 ml) hot milk with ¾ cup (180 ml) hot coconut milk.
ILLUSTRATED ON FRONT OF BOX
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter cake tins generously and line bases with baking paper or spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat eggs, oil and melted butter together for 30 seconds on high speed until well blended.
- Add hot milk and beat briefly on high speed.
- Add the contents of the pack and gently mix in by hand with a spatula. Mix only until combined. It is important not to over mix.
- Divide mixture evenly between the two prepared pans, and level the tops with the back of a tablespoon.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cake is done when a thin-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean or cake pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- Cool cakes in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn out on a cooling rack. Do not ice until cakes are completely cool. Delicious with cream cheese icing – see method below for fool proof recipe.
FOOL PROOF CREAM CHEESE ICING
Not recommended unless baked in a convection microwave – in which case follow normal oven baking instructions.