Beetroot Soup (Borsch)
Borsch is a Russian culinary classic. We love this recipe for its robust taste and vibrant colour. Can be served hot or cold. The recipe makes a generous amount. Freeze the remaining soup and serve warm for another meal. This soup is a perfect Vegetarian option.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 3 T (45 ml) canola oil
- 4-5 whole medium size beetroot, peeled and roughly cut up
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly cut up
- 3 sticks of celery, sliced
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) hot water
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 2 T (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut up
- ½ cup (125 ml) crème fraiche
- chives, finely snipped
Sauté the onion, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the canola oil for 10 minutes until soft and beginning to brown (don’t rush this, it adds to the flavour of the soup).
Add the beetroot, carrot and celery. Sauté to develop the flavour of the vegetables. It will take about 3 minutes.
Add the hot water, Chicken Stock Powder, sugar and lemon juice. Simmer covered with a lid for 30 – 35 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes. Liquidise until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Serve chilled in martini glasses with a dollop of crème fraiche and snipped chives.