Butternut Bread with Rosemary
Rave reviews all round! An excellent match with any traditional South African braai.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 cups (484 g) cake flour
- 4 t (20 ml) baking powder
- 4 t (20 ml) Ina Paarman’s Rosemary & Olive Seasoning
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 750 g uncooked butternut, cubed, cooked and mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup (180 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream plain yoghurt
- fresh rosemary
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter and line the base of a cast iron saucepan or cake pan ± 22 cm in diameter. Sift the flour, baking powder and Rosemary & Olive Seasoning together. Stir in the sugar. Mix the cooked mashed butternut with the eggs, oil and yoghurt. Add to the flour mixture and mix to form a moist dough. Turn out into the prepared pan and bake for 1 ½ hours. Leave to stand to cool down a little, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve with butter.
This bread is very good toasted the next day.