Butternut & Sweet Potato Soup
We were inspired by Rob Louw’s recipe in ‘The Springbok Kitchen’, a cookbook in support of the Chris Burger Petro Jackson, Player’s Fund.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 3 cups (750 ml) peeled and diced butternut
- 2 cups (500 ml) peeled and diced red skinned sweet potato
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh full cream milk
- ¾ cup (180 ml) naartjie or orange juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- naartjie peel for garnish
Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onions with 2T of Masala Spice until soft and aromatic. Add the diced butternut and sweet potatoes. Sauté, stirring now and again. Add water and Vegetable Stock. Simmer for 25 minutes. Add milk and naartjie juice, cook for ± 5 minutes.
Liquidise everything using a hand-held blender or a food processor. Add cream. Taste for seasoning and serve garnished with a sprinkling of Masala Spice and fine strips of naartjie peel.