These stuffed sliced eggplant rolls are utterly delectable. One of our very best recipes and ideal for a vegetarian meal. Select biggish eggplants. Serve the Eggplant Involtini with crusty bread and a salad.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 large eggplants, cut lengthways into 1 cm thick slices
- olive oil
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- Ina Paarman’s Basil Pesto
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarmans Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 250 g full cream chunky cottage cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) Italian hard cheese, grated
- 1 x 400 ml Ina Paarman's Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Arrange aubergine slices on oiled baking paper. Season the slices, very lightly, on one side only, with Garlic & Herb Seasoning and then drizzle generously with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes until nicely browned (no need to turn).
Turn slices over and spread each underside with Basil Pesto.
Mix breadcrumbs, Chilli & Garlic Seasoning, cottage cheese and half of the grated cheese to form a firm paste. With widest end of eggplant slice facing you, place about a tablespoon of cheese mixture on bottom third of slice. Roll up.
Decant the Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce into a medium size ovenproof dish or 6 individual dishes. Arrange the eggplant rolls, seam side down, in the sauce. Top with remaining grated cheese.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden. Serve with an Italian style bread dipped in olive oil, to mop up the sauce.
Dress the accompanying green salad with our Reduced Oil Balsamic Dressing.
The Tomato, Olive & Chilli Pasta Sauce is a delicious alternative. In that case, spread the aubergine slices with our Olive Pesto.