Fish Bake with Smoked Oysters
A dish that has stood the test of time. In the early days, when my grocery budget was very meagre, this was my special ‘entertaining’ recipe.
YOU WILL NEED
- ± 600 g fresh hake, filleted and skinned
- Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- 300 g baby potatoes, scrubbed not peeled
- Ina Paarman’s Potato Spice
- 3 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) butter, melted
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Fish Stock
- 85 g tin smoked oysters in oil
- 1 x 400 g Ina Paarman’s Ready To Serve Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 T (15 ml) butter, melted
Immediately when getting home, season the fish with Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning, put it on a plate, cover with cling film and place 1 – 2 ice bricks on top. Refrigerate.
Butter a 20 cm x 26 cm ovenproof dish.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 200°C.
Boil the potatoes until done, drain, cover saucepan with a clean dishcloth and leave potatoes until cool enough to handle. Slice and season lightly with Potato Spice.
Spread potatoes out in the dish.
Sauté the leeks, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the butter until very soft and just beginning to colour.
Stir in the undiluted Fish Stock.
Spoon leeks over the potato layer.
Cut the fish into portions and arrange over the leeks.
Dot with oysters and drizzle over all the oyster oil.
Cut a corner of the pack of Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce and evenly squeeze the Sauce over the fish.
Mix the breadcrumbs and melted butter together and sprinkle over the dish.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with a Greek salad dressed with our Reduced Oil Greek Dressing.