Lamb Necks on the Braai
This is one of my best discoveries! With the price of lamb chops skyrocketing, you can still get your lamb fix using a more economical cut. Delicious! Another homegrown South African recipe.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 whole lamb necks, each cut lengthwise into 2 pieces
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 whole head of garlic, cut in half through the waist
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Beef Flavour Stock Powder
- Ina Paarman's Sticky Plum & Soy Marinade & Baste
- grilled lemon wedges
- fresh rosemary
Adjust oven rack to one slot below the middle. Preheat oven to 160°C.
Place meat (seasoned lightly with Garlic Pepper Seasoning) into an oval casserole dish with a lid. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, water and Stock Powder. Bake for 2 hours until very tender.
Leave to cool down in the stock. Best done the day before.
Prepare a medium fire. Remove the necks from the stock and coat with Sticky Plum & Soy Marinade & Baste. Braai slowly, while turning and basting regularly with Marinade, until brown and crispy on the outside.
Instead of Garlic Pepper Seasoning use Rosemary & Olive Seasoning.
Instead of Sticky Plum & Soy Marinade & Baste use Barbeque Marinade.
The stock can be frozen and used for a soup, in a potjie or lamb curry.