Mini Red Velvet Trifles
This dessert will serve two meals. Make 8 mini Trifles. Use the leftover Red Velvet Cake and Cheesecake to make a big one bowl of Trifle. You can even freeze the large trifle for another occasion.
YOU WILL NEED
Red velvet cake
- 2 extra large eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup (180 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 g) butter, melted
- ¾ cup (180 ml) full cream milk, warmed
- 1 x 580 g Ina Paarman’s Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 cup (250 ml) cold water
- 1 x 250 g Ina Paarman’s Lemon Flavour Cheesecake Mix
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) medium cream sherry or brandy
- 50 g slab dark chocolate
- 1 cup (250 ml) cream
- 2 T (30 ml) reserved dry Ina Paarman’s Lemon Flavour Cheesecake Mix
- ½ cup (125 ml) blueberries
- ½ - ¾ cup (125 ml - 180 ml) pomegranate pips
- 8 rings 6 cm wide and 4 cm high (plastic piping works well)
- icing sugar for dusting
Red velvet cake
Adjust oven shelf to middle position.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Butter and line a 36 cm x 25 cm baking pan with baking paper.
Mix cake according to box instructions and spread out evenly in the prepared pan.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Leave to cool in the pan and cut out 8 rounds using a 6 cm cookie cutter. Leave on one side.
Reserve 2 T (30 ml) of the dry mix and keep on one side for later. Mix Cheesecake according to package instructions.
Place rings on a small tray that will fit into your fridge. Place one cake cut out into each ring and sprinkle 2 teaspoons of sherry or brandy over. Top with a generous helping of cheesecake mixture. Level it. Add a final layer of cake and sprinkle with sherry. Set in the fridge. Can be done the day before.
Melt the chocolate and spoon it into a small plastic sandwich bag. Snip a tiny hole in one corner and pipe a ‘Christmassy’ or any other freehand pattern on the plate. Leave to set, can also be done the day before.
Push the trifles out of the rings and position on the plate. Whip the cream together with the 2 T (30 ml) of reserved Cheesecake Mix to stabilise the cream. Top each trifle with a generous dollop of cream. Finish off with whole blueberries and pomegranate pips and dust with icing sugar.
One Bowl Trifle
Use leftover pieces of Red Velvet Cake cut into smallish blocks. Sprinkle with sherry or brandy and layer with leftover Cheesecake mixture in a glass bowl. Top with leftover cream and fruit. Refrigerate until needed or freeze well covered for 2 weeks. Defrost covered, before serving.