Snack Size Boboties
These tiny intensely flavoured boboties are always a hit! We baked them in mini muffin pans or for bigger snacks use regular muffin pans. Beg, borrow or steal pans from your friends, we had six pans and it really simplified the baking.
YOU WILL NEED
- ± 10-12 sheets of phyllo pastry
- ± ½ cup (125 ml) butter, melted
- Bobotie filling
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- 1 slice of white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 2 T (30 ml) canola or sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 T (15 ml) curry powder
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Peach Apricot Chutney
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain, double cream yoghurt
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 2 eggs
- Ina Paarman’s Peach Apricot Chutney
- coriander leaves
Butter the mini muffin pans very well.
Unfold the pastry on the work surface. Lift off one sheet and brush it with melted butter. Lay a second sheet on top and also brush it with butter. Cut pastry into squares of about 6 cm x 6 cm. A pastry wheel guided by a ruler gives best results.
Place these pastry squares into the well buttered hollows of the muffin pan and push firmly into the base and corners.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
Pour the Butter Chicken Sauce over the bread and leave to soak on a plate. Heat a dry frying pan until hot. Add the oil and immediately the chopped onions pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning. Stir-fry until the onions begin to brown. Add the mince, breaking it up with a fork while stir-frying. Add the curry powder towards the end of the cooking time. Add the Masala Spice, grated apple and Chutney. Cook for another 2 minutes.
Mash the soaked bread on the plate. Add the bread mixture to the meat. Taste for seasoning. Spoon teaspoonsful of the bobotie mixture into the lined phyllo baskets. Beat the yoghurt with the Masala Spice and eggs using a fork. Spoon a little egg mixture over each bobotie. Bake for 15 minutes or until the custard topping has firmed.
Serve warm or leave to cool and reheat at 180°C for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with a ½ t of our Peach Apricot Chutney. Top with a coriander leaf.
**Other fillings for phyllo baskets** If you bake the baskets beforehand you can fill them on the day with:
* (caramelised-onions-with-balsamic-vinegar) and cherry tomato halves