Vegetable Curry with Cashew Nuts
Mild flavour. A mild flavoured, satisfying and aromatic vegetarian curry! We should all have curry on the menu once a week to benefit from the medicinal value of spices like turmeric.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 – 3 t (10 – 15 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 cups (450 g) grated butternut
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Vegetable Stock
- 1½ cups (375 ml) boiling water
- 400 g tin lentils, well drained
- 400 g tin chickpeas, well drained
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Creamy Curry Sauce
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- 1 bag (200 g) baby spinach, washed
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 jalapeno chilli, cut into rings
- fresh coriander
- 100 g cashew nuts, toasted
Sauté the onions in the oil and add the Masala Spice at the beginning of the cooking process. When the onions are soft and glazed, add the garlic and butternut. Stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes. Add Vegetable Stock to boiling water and add to the vegetables. Stir in the drained lentils and chickpeas. Simmer for ± 12 minutes until butternut is soft.
Add Creamy Curry Sauce and Coriander Pesto and bring to a slow simmer. Add the well washed spinach (no need to dry) to the curry and stir through only until wilted.
Taste and add a little Green Onion Seasoning if needed. Garnish with chilli rings, fresh coriander and nuts. Serve with the rice, sambals and papadums.
To toast the cashew nuts, briefly shake the nuts in a non-stick pan to toast them lightly. Okra, the green vegetable shown in the top left hand corner of the first picture below, is a great addition to a curry because it thickens the mixture.