A traditional Cape gem. When waterblommetjies are out of season, use green beans.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1½ - 2 kg lamb (neck, shin or shoulder), we used 3 necks cut lengthways and then cut across once.
- 2 T (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Meat Spice
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 – 2 t (5 – 10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 T (15 ml) wine vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 500 g waterblommetjies, soaked in salted water (see Ina’s Tip)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Waterblommetjie blossoms or chopped parsley
Brown the meat in oil and butter mixture in a large, heavy based saucepan.
Remove meat with a slotted spoon and season with Meat Spice. Add onions and Chilli & Garlic Seasoning to saucepan and sauté. Add water, Liquid Stock, vinegar and garlic and bring to the boil.
Return meat to the saucepan and simmer very slowly until tender, ± 1½ hours.
Add waterblommetjies and potatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes until vegetables are done.
Add lemon juice and season to taste. Garnish with waterblommetjie blossoms or chopped parsley. Serve on rice.
(This dish freezes well.)
Substitute green beans when waterblommetjies are out of season.